Over the years, I’ve become a fan of the nude lip. And being a dark-skinned woman, sometimes it’s hard to find the right one that won’t make me look like a clown-in-waiting at Circus Circus.
While I have boasted about my love of NARS, I love a good dupe. I love saving money.
Black Radiance is a brand that’s been around for a while, and it caters specifically to black and brown skin tones. It’s also hella cheap and if you’re a makeup junkie but also on a budget, this might be something to look into it.
I was on the hunt for a new nude and decided to check out my local Target for any hot ones. The moment I saw Black Radiance, it was love at first sight. Well, for me, it was love. For them, I’m sure it was:
But I digress…
I quickly snatched up Naughty Brown (color 5405) and couldn’t wait to get home to try it. It went on very smooth and it didn’t crack out my lips like some other matte colors. No smell, no fragrance.
I was a bit taken aback at how muted the color was – my lips did look invisible and I wasn’t quite sure how to feel about that. Maybe that was the point of the matte?
But they looked delicious enough for a selfie:
And another angle:
And one more because I’m feeling myself like I’m Melanin Monroe and without the filter:
Now let’s review:
- Black Radiance is a strong brand.
- It caters to darker skin tones, though fair skin tones can wear some of the products.
- The pigmentation for a cheap brand is actually pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised by it.
- It’s cheap! OMG! It’s hella cheap! I paid $3.99 for my lip gloss but you can get it even cheaper at Wal-Mart.
- Available just about everywhere: Amazon, Target, Walmart, CVS, and Ebay.
- The muted colors might be too muted, if that makes sense. (I did say I felt my lips looked invisible.) But you’ll slay in the pics.
- It doesn’t have a wide range of colors like some other cheap brands (think NYX), but they’re constantly expanding.
- The price might make you think because it’s cheap, it won’t be good.
Bottom Line: I do recommend it even if you don’t have melanin! Go ahead and try it!